GVSU Career Center
Individual Career Counseling Appointments
Why should I go to career counseling?
College students often struggle with deciding on a career path and choosing a major. Career counseling will help you choose careers that match your personality, vocational interests/goals, and individual values. Resources offered during career counseling include online career information databases, career tests, and personal support.
When should I schedule an appointment for career counseling?
Schedule a career counseling appointment when:
- you are having trouble choosing a major.
- you are looking for resources to investigate careers.
- you feel anxious or unsure about career planning.
- you want to explore career testing options with a counselor.
- you are unsure of how to apply your major to a career.
- you are interested in graduate school.
What will an individual career appointment be like?
During the first meeting, each student will meet with a counselor to discuss their career concerns, options, and goals. Students can complete career assessments to explore how various majors/career options match with their interests, personality, and values. The counselor will work with the student to research and explore how identified majors and career paths may support a student's future career goals.
How do I schedule an appointment?
The Career Center is located in 206 Student Services Building and 101B Richard M. DeVos Center. You can stop by the office or call (616) 331-3311 to schedule an appointment.
Preparing for Your Career Counseling Appointment
Knowing a little bit about yourself and the world of work will be helpful to you and the career counselor. You can prepare by doing the following:
1. Review the Five Questions
2. Take the career assessments in FOCUS 2
Page last modified June 10, 2014