Focus 2: Next Steps
Your next step to finding a career path greatly depends on the type of career question(s) you are trying to answer. Below you will find a list of common career related concerns and practical suggestions.
How Do I Begin Exploring Careers?
Focus 2 identified several careers that you may want to consider. Now you need more information about those careers!
- Using the “Exploring The Possibilities” section on Focus 2, search careers by industry or major, as well as, compare occupations side by side.
- Look to see how well a specific career matches with your interest profile.
- The Career Center website also has several career exploration resources that will give you a better understanding of different occupations.
- Finalize a list of career(s) (1 or 2) that you are ready to test-out and review the “Should I choose this career?” section below.
What Major Should I Choose?
Having a career path in mind is the most practical way of choosing a major. But if you want to explore majors, here are some ways Focus 2 can help:
- Remember the majors that kept popping up on your Focus 2 results? Every major listed on Focus 2 is available at GVSU. Begin exploring those majors.
- Focus 2 also provides a list of recommended majors based on your assessment results (“What can you do with a major in .....at Grand Valley State University?”). Any major that has an image of a light bulb next to it means it might be a good match!
- Pick 2 or more majors from Focus 2 that you are interested in exploring
- Call the Career Center (616-331-3311) to set up an appointment to review your results
- You can also schedule an appointment with an academic advisor at the Student Academic Success Center (616) 331-3588). Click here to find out how they can help.
Should I Choose This Career?
From all your online investigating, you now have a fairly good understanding about a career or two of interest. Your next step is to test it out!
- Pick two or three suggestions listed here.
I Still Can't Decide On A Career Path
Finding a career path can be challenging, so don’t worry if you feel lost, frustrated, and/or indecisive. We are here to help!
- Simply give us a call (616-331-3311) or stop by the Career Center to make an appointment.
- Feel free to stop by during our drop-in ours (Monday through Thursday: 10-12pm & 1-3pm)