What steps can I take to test them out?
“Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.” ~Erica Baxter, Australian singer/model
This step of career development is a critical one. Test things out! Embrace your new understanding of who you are, what you like, what you are good at and throw yourself into experiences: take a photography class, join a club, volunteer at a non-profit organization, work in a bank, study abroad.
Spend time researching companies, and building networks. Ask yourself questions about potential career fields: Can I see myself doing all aspects of this job? What skills and abilities would I need to develop before I could pursue a career in this field? There are many ways to test out a career field to see if it’s right for you:
- Complete the “What can I do with this Major” section of Focus II.
- Attend Career Center Events to develop professional skills, build networks and do homework about potential career fields matching your interests and abilities:
- Register with LakerJobs and conduct research on current internship and employment opportunities.
- Utilize LinkedIn along with the Career Contact Bank to build networks and connections for informational interviewing, job shadowing, and internship opportunities.
- Participate in an Internship.
- Sign up for US 301: Internship & Job Search Strategies.
- Explore Service Learning Opportunities at the Community Service Learning Center and through the Women’s Issue Volunteer Corps.
- Participate in Student Organizations that allow you to test out your interests, abilities, and skills.
- Examine Study Abroad options and determine the best time to participate.
- Consider if graduate or professional school is in your future. Participating in undergraduate research is a great way test out a specific area of interest as well as gain excellent experience that is great preparation for graduate school.
- Check out an easy to download guide that highlights ways to get experience and begin to test things out!
© Copyright 2011-2012
Page last modified November 13, 2013