Title: Assistant Professor
Office: L. William Seidman Center, 3018
Dr. Sergeant is an assistant professor at Grand Valley Statue University, where she teaches in the managerial and cost accounting areas. After receiving her PhD from University of Arizona, she taught full-time at Iowa State, and then part-time for GVSU, before returning full-time in 2008. She has published in Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Corporate Accounting and Finance, and Wise Traditions. Her paper, Interacting Biases, Non-Normal Return Distributions and the Performance of Parametric and Bootstrap Tests for Long-Horizon Event Studies, with Arnold Cowan was one of SSRN Top-10 downloaded papers and received Best Paper Award at the Midwest Finance Association Meetings. Her recent research focuses on the costs of IT and Disaster Recovery.
- PH.D., Accounting, Finance and Econometrics, University of Arizona. "The relation between accounting earnings and stock retursn: a study of firms receiving a modified audit report." (1994).
- MBA, Accounting, University of Washington. (1988).
- BS, Physical Therapy, SUNY Buffalo. (1983).
- Managerial Accounting
- Health-care Cost Accounting
- IT Cost Accounting
- Sergeant, A., Ratliff-Miller, P., Yilmaz, R. (2012). Fuzzy logic cost-volume-profit analysis to assess product life-cycle profitability under uncertainty. American Accounting Association- Midwest Region: Midwest Region Meeting.
- Sergeant, A., Ratliff-Miller, P. (2012). Alliance Healthcare Network: Using a Balanced Scorecard to Motivate Change. IMA Educational Case Journal, 5(3), TN 1-10; CS 1-6.
- Sergeant, A., Cannon, D. (2012). Auditing students learning by teaching: A cash control project. American Accounting Association, Sarasota Fl: American Accounting Association Annual Meeting.
- Community, Derby Lake Association, Financial Advisor, Board Member, approximately 15 hours spent per year, Hours, elected, Regional. (January 1, 2013 - May 31, 2013).
- College, Laker Experience Day, Student Recruiter, approximately 5 hours spent per year, Hours. (March 29, 2013).