The Rapid - May 2011 Millage and Transit Master Plan
PLEASE VOTE MAY 3, 2011!
The Rapid Board approved a millage question that would raise funds for the first round of improvements identified in the transit master plan, as adopted in June 2010. The plan, which was developed with extensive public outreach and input, identifies a 20-year vision for transit services in the region.
The improvements in the first 5 years of the 20-year plan are:
- Improve weekday service so that all routes run at least every 30 minutes (5:00 a.m. – 7:15 p.m.).
- Connect Route 50, GVSU’s main route on Lake Michigan Drive, to Rapid Central Station to increase access and reduce the need for transfers. This means additional buses on the GVSU Route 50 at no additional cost to the university; and also that GVSU riders can take the bus from ANYWHERE on the Rapid system and easily connect to the GVSU Route 50 at Rapid Central Station.*
- Extend hours so that all routes run until 11:15 p.m. weekday evenings (17 out of 21 routes will run every 30 minutes).
- The seven busiest routes will have 30-minute service until 12:15 a.m.
- Double the number of routes with 15-minute service during morning and afternoon commute hours.
- Run all routes (except Route 17 – Woodland/Airport) until 10:00 on Saturday evenings.
- Operate BRT express service serving Division Avenue, Medical Mile, and downtown Grand Rapids.
These improvements will affect riders on the GVSU Route 50 (our busiest route) and in the communities that the Rapid serves:
- East Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids
* GVSU buses should start daily routing to Central Station in August 2012, coinciding with the start of the Fall 2012 semester.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOTE - THE MILLAGE PASSED MAY 3, 2011!!
Page last modified May 17, 2011