GVSU Art and Design
The Department of Art and Design at Grand Valley State University seeks to uphold the values of a liberal education while providing an intensive engagement with the production and examination of the visual arts.
As educators, artists, and scholars, we value investigation of the world through participation in broad cultural discourses. In addition to preparing students formally and conceptually for careers in the visual arts, the department strives to foster the broadly transferable skills of inquiry, reflection, critical analysis, dialog, and expression.
Students learning values that reflect our departmental mission
- Student will become familiar with the central issues and processes in their chosen area of study.
- Students will develop competency progressively throughout the degree program and will work independently at the advanced level.
- Students will achieve a high level of expertise in the practice of their chosen area of study.
- Students will evaluate and present their work in a professional manner appropriate to their discipline.
- Students will be encouraged to engage in learning experiences designed to enhance their ability to contribute to artistic and other communities.
The Department of Art and Design will continue to offer excellent undergraduate programs in studio art, art education, and art history that include traditional and contemporary practices enriched by a strong foundation in liberal education.
Department of Art and Design, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan
Page last modified November 30, 2011