Alternative Work Schedules
Where appropriate, schedules other than the typical Monday through Friday full time work schedule are possible. Examples of these schedules are:
- Variable Time (Flex Time): A scheduled in which staff start and end work earlier or later than within regular office hours set by the University. Variations include staggered hours with a fixed daily schedule; core hours with a variable daily schedule and meal-period flex.
- Compressed Workweek Schedule: A schedule that takes a full time workweek and compresses it into fewer, longer days (e.g., four 10-hour days).
- 9 or 10 Month Contract: An arrangement in which the staff work a full time schedule during the busiest times in the office. They may be off during the summer or other periods when the office is slow.
- Telecommuting: An arrangement in which staff work from a location other than their normal worksite (e.g., home) on a regular basis.
- Job Sharing: A form of regular part time, where two part time staff share one full time position.
- Part Time: An arrangement in which staff work at least 20 hours a week, but less than 30 hours, with regular, scheduled hours. May be eligible for same benefits as full time employees but on an adjusted basis.
Staff interested in such a schedule should discuss it with their supervisor and Human Resources.
Page last modified January 5, 2010