Awards Committee Minutes September 19, 2013
Notes from AP Awards Committee Meeting
Sept. 19, 2013
Present: Tara Bivens, Karen Matchett, Alexis Rangel, Kelley Rogers & Karel Swanson.
- Target date to open AP Awards – Nov. 1, 2013, remaining open until March 14, 2014.
- Committee will review Rubrics and determine if any changes need to be made to criteria, verbiage, etc. This is to be completed by Oct. 4, 2013.
- Tara Bivens raised the idea of creating an additional award addressing Customer Service to the University. The Committee will determine if a need exists and if so, will be charged with the creation of tentative criteria/verbiage for a possible award. Task completed by Oct. 4, 2013.
- Karen Matchett will contact Jim Seufert, to encourage him to conduct the AP Committee Open Forum Survey as soon as possible so that we can obtain Awards survey input prior to the opening of the Awards nomination period.
- Kelley Rogers will assist the Committee with technically-related issues.
- Include a letter sized link for nominators.
- Place a notice on GVSU Homepage.
- Improve AP Awards website to make it more user-friendly; especially for students.
- Include verbiage which emphasizes the importance/weight of personal letters.
- Other website issues as necessary.
- Encourage input from previous (2-3) AP Achievement award recipients towards the selection of this year’s recipient.
Marketing AP Awards/’Getting the word out’:
- Request Matt McLogan send out executive email to all faculty staff, encouraging nominations.
- Appeal to Unit Heads to encourage their staff to submit nominations for worthy candidates.
- Maggie McCrystal – Include blurb in Supervisor Newsletters.
- Table tent at Excellence Series events. Have presenter make an announcement.
- Place notice on GVSU home page.
- Tara Bivens suggested that we include reminder of AP Awards in our signature on all emails.
- Send special invitation to specific departments/offices who seldom nominate. Encourage nominations.
- Send email to all AP Committee members – request to share with their groups.
- Use Lanthorn only if provided with an article highlighting the process; otherwise no to using this resource.
- Decided against creating table tents for student nominations. Deemed ineffective.
- Article in The Forum.
AP Awards Luncheon:
- Connect with Jim Seufert to determine if AP Awards Chair/Committee can have input in the AP luncheon.
- Make the awards/recipients a greater focus of the event.
- In place of/or in addition to a speaker, suggest we have the nominators share briefly about their support for the winner. Introductions by nominators. *A brief statement from nominator could be required prior to the event, for approval of content.
- Oct. 4, 2013 – Rubric review, creation of new award due
- Oct. 17, 2013, 4:00-5:30 pm. Panera Bread, Standale – Final meeting before Awards go live
- Nov. 1, 2013 – AP Awards Nominations Open
- March 14, 2014 – AP Awards Nominations Closed; Committee begins completing Rubrics
- March 28, 2014 – Committee meets, Rubrics Completed, Decisions made. (2 hr. meeting)
- April, 4, 2014 – Recommendations sent to Human Resources, Bonnie Maka
- April 24, 2014 – AP Awards Luncheon
Page last modified September 27, 2013