AP Committee Minutes September 17, 2012
September 17, 2012
Present: Michelle McCloud (Chair), Ed Simon, Jamie Schlagel, Jennifer Schick, Jim Seufert, Michelle DeWitt, Mike Kluczyk, Nicholas Nelson, Valerie Jones, Scott Richardson (ex-officio)
Absent: Jackie Rautio, Kim Walton, Quincy Williams
- Speaker Presentation: Jeanne Arnold @ 2:30pm
- Inclusion Extra (released twice is a year) is a good reference for what the division is/has been working on.
- New program in housing for students with Asperger’s paired with peer mentor. Social support is crucial to their success.
- Going through qualitative data (7000 pieces) and currently keying in to 2 questions: (1) why did you consider leaving/why did you decide to stay? (2) Elaborate on personal experience of exclusionary conduct that has interfered with your ability to live/work.
- The number of individuals reporting exclusionary conduct is lower than national average in terms of statistics but we still want to review. Still, we want those numbers even lower.
- How will results be shared? Interim report by end of fall semester. Jeanne will take to SMT and determine who should receive/publish on website/semi-annual publication – total transparency on these results.
- Re: “Do you believe GVSU is committed to diversity?” the response was 90% yes in the current year and 60% yes in the last climate study (across the board faculty, staff, students). We are pleased with the improvement but need to find out why the 10% do not think so.
- In the last year, Student senate passed resolution to close – University Academic Senate modified proposal to vote to cancel classes for the day. Students are involved in planning and providing suggestions of how to get participation from all students– faculty to be involved with lectures – staff to be supporters and participants.
- “A day on, not a day off.” Still, “A day on doesn’t mean business as usual.” We should structure a day when people can get away from their offices to participate to programs.
- Educate broader community as well as ourselves.
- Brings in our lines with peers (we were only 1 of 3 that did not cancel classes).
- Approval of Agenda Approved
- Approval of Minutes from 8/20/12 Approved Michelle D./second Ed
Communication Plan Update
- Michelle M. provided two drafts – one to send annually to all members of your group and one to send to new members. Send all AP annual email as soon as possible. Share with other group representatives. Consider adding the link to the website, dates for events noted below and any additional information you may need.
- AP Open Forum – Date changed to May 8, 2013 11:30am – 1:00pm
- AP Luncheon – Committee Report Considering themes.
- Salary and Benefits Compensation 101 Lunch and Learn October 2nd.
- Professional Development – no update.
- Awards - no update.
- Subcommittee Updates
- Elect Co-Chair Jim Seufert
- CPR/First Aid/AED certification – Refer to Prof. Dev. Subcommittee.
Questions/Concerns from AP Staff Members (if any)
- Monday, October 15th, 2:30 KC2201 (Speaker: Gayle Davis)
Minutes Submitted: Jennifer Schick
Page last modified October 4, 2012