AP Committee Minutes January 28, 2013
Minutes - January 28, 2013
Present: Michelle McCloud (Chair), , Jamie Schlagel, Jennifer Schick, Jim Seufert, Dell Paielli (for Michelle DeWitt), Mike Kluczyk, Nicholas Nelson, Jackie Rautio, Kim Walton, Quincy Williams
Absent: Ed Simon, Valerie Jones, Scott Richardson (ex-officio)
- Speaker Presentation (2:30pm): Dwight Hamilton, AVP for Affirmative Action
- Affirmative action: Targeted proactive approach to addressing historical patterns of underrepresentation based on race, sex and ethnicity.
- Quotas are illegal.
- Targeting when you are advertising is okay.
- For Michigan - post Proposal 2 preferential part of affirmative action is stricken (employment, college admissions, scholarships cannot be administered based on preference).
- Proposal 2 overruled by 6th Circuit Court
- Attorney general also appealed to US Supreme Court.
- Other ways to diversify student population, not based on race, could be based on geographic location, first generation, income base.
- Michigan private competitors and state colleges in surrounding states are not subject to proposal 2 and can be more flexible in how to consider race/give scholarships
- Dwight deals with affirmative action related to employment have to follow federal guidelines because we are a federal contractor (over $50,000). Keep in mind that race is self-disclosed and this information is only seen by Dwight.
- He performs as utilization analysis (looking at applicant vs. hire vs. promotion vs. termination rates
- He looks at the hiring process: job opening; recruitment plan (where are you posting); interviewees are selected (compare against posted requirement and reasons for non-selection); selection justification
- Goal is to cast out a wide net. May need to recast the net. May need to select others for the interviews. In this way, Dwight wears two hats compliance and global inclusion.
- If you are a witness to harassing behavior can report to Dwight and you and the other person would be protected against retaliation.
- Also Bias Incident Training.
- Approval of Minutes from 12/17/12 Approved.
- Subcommittee Updates
- Salary and Benefits No update.
- Professional Development No update.
- Awards No update.
- Event Updates
- AP Open Forum Committee Report
- Quincy is working with HR. They will work to coordinate with executive officers. Still planning on May 8th.
- Format will be similar to last year.
- Website question box is now open.
- AP Luncheon Committee Report
- Theme: Growing GVSU James Moyer
- Questions/Concerns from AP Staff Members (if any)
- Adjunct faculty (who are considered Aps) adjuncting 18 years without seeing an increase in salary and discrepancy in adjunct pay across all divisions
- Other Business
- Elections in April which members of your group who would like to serve?
- Reminder to send link to the AP website showing group members where the minutes are.
- Next Meeting: Monday, February 18th 2:30 KC 2201 Guest Speaker: James Moyer
Minutes Submitted: Jennifer Schick