Dr. Russell Rhoads
Office: 234 Lake Michigan Hall
Applied and development anthropology, food and agriculture, dislocation and resettlement, qualitative and ethnographic methods
Dr. Rhoads (PhD Kentucky 1994) is an applied cultural anthropologist with a specialty in agricultural anthropology, migration, resettlement, and anthropological methods. His recent research focuses on land acquisition, resettlement and development in Uganda and East Africa. Recently, Rhoads was awarded a Fulbright Scholars grant (2014-2015) for teaching at Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda. Both abroad and at GVSU, he participates in designing community engagement programs and capacity-building through community-based research. Rhoads has a long-term interest in food systems in Western Michigan, specifically food insecurity in the context of urban development and farmers markets. Currently, Rhoads teaches classes in the topical areas of globalization and development, migration, theory and methods, as well as facilitating field schools and internships, including ANT 204, 210, 300, 345, 346, 355, 405, and 495.
Recent Research and Publications:
- Anyuru, Max A., Russell Rhoads, Onesmus Mugyeni, Joseph A. Manoba and Tom Balemesa. (2016). Balancing Development and Community Livelihoods: A Framework for Land Acquisition and Resettlement in Uganda (A study of communities affected by conservation in Kibaale District, oil development and road infrastructure in Hoima District, and Hydro electric power development in Buikwe District of Uganda). Environmental Democracy Programme, Advocates Coalition for Development and Environment. ACODE Policy Research Series, No. 75. 110 pp.
- Rhoads, R. and M. Wroblewski. (2016). Anthropology Community Engagement Project: Refugee Cultural Orientation Curriculum Evaluation and Video Production. A collaboration between the Anthropology Department (GVSU) and Bethany Refugee and Immigrant Services (BCS, Grand Rapids). (Project report co-authored with students.) Anthropology Department, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan. 72 pp.
- Bainomugisha, A., L. M. Tamale, W. Muhwezi, K. Cunningham, E. G. Ssemakula, G. Bogere, R. Rhoads & J. Mbabazi (co-authors). (2015). Local Government Councils Score-Card Assessment Report, 2014/15: Unlocking and Amplifying Voices. Kampala. ACODE Policy Research Series, No.70. 162 pp.
- Rhoads, R., T. Muhumuza, W. Nabiddo, H. Kiragga, F. Ssango, S. Nampewo, & Z. Muzira. (2015). Assessing Public Expenditure Governance in Uganda’s Agricultural Sector: Application of an Innovative Framework. Kampala. ACODE Policy Research Series, No. 68, 2015. 68 pp.
- Amumpiire, A. & R. Rhoads. (2015). Strengthening the Role of Local Leaders and Actors in Advocating for Better Forestry Governance and Improved Livelihoods: A Synthesis Report of the Proceedings of the Regional Forestry Governance Forum. Kampala. ACODE Policy Dialogue Report Series, No.20, 2015. 19 pp.