Alumni List Request Procedures And Form
Please read the following and agree to the terms and conditions at the bottom of this page
Alumni Association Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the Grand Valley State University Alumni Association is to provide a communication link between the University and its alumni and friends. Association programs keep GVSU alumni informed about and interested in the continued development of Grand Valley State University. The effect of these programs is to strengthen the University so it can continue to fulfill and expand its mission of teaching, research, and service.
The Millennium database contains records for Alumni, Development and WGVU. Alumni, friends, donors, and prospects are on the database, along with some records of those who have attended GVSU but have never graduated (mostly student athletes or people who were involved in a student life organization and never completed their degrees). Alumni, Development, and WGVU have responsibility for the accuracy and security of all information contained in these files. The alumni portion of the files is populated by the former Student Information System (SIS), and new BANNER system housed in the Records office, the "official record keepers" of the University.
The Alumni department's goal is to provide alumni files or other information on alumni and friends in order to help the University community with fundraising, "friend-raising" and other activities. To ensure the integrity and privacy of data, users must agree to the following terms and conditions and complete the subsequent online request form. Please be very specific on what is needed.
Explain who you want to reach:
- Degree type
- Demographics (tri-county, MI only, specific counties in other areas, etc.)
- Ethnic background (when targeting a specific audience - i.e. African American)
- Specific grad years or all
- Also, please indicate what type of data you need to see: name, address, email, degree, degree year, phone, and/or business information. The more specific you are, the easier it makes the process.
- Excel file spread sheets will be provided to campus departments. Each department will be responsible for merging letters, making labels, and forwarding the file on to a mail house if necessary. The two outside mail services that Alumni Relations uses are: Presort Services, Dave Hytinen, 247-1177 or KCI, Penny Elve, 957-2120 ext. 12. If you send a mailing to a mail house, please contact Michelle Holstege in Facilities Services, at 331-3845, on the specifics. She needs to know where the mailing is being sent from, a brief description of the piece, approximate number of pieces being mailed, date the mailing is scheduled to be sent, and a FOAP. This is for billing purposes.
- Users will state the purpose of the request. The purpose or intended use of all the information requested is important to avoid duplication of requests within the colleges and to provide the most up-to date information available.
- Data will not be provided to any outside vendor, alum, or business of any type.
- Users will give at least one week's notice before the information is needed.
- Users will assume total responsibility for the data once it is in their possession and will not use it for private, political, or personal reasons, but only for University-related business.
- Users will discard/delete the database provided after use and will not maintain a "side system" within their department.
- Users will submit all data updates to the alumni office, to assist with accurate record keeping. Please forward any returned mail to the Alumni House and Visitor Center to the attention of the secretary, or forward updates via email.
- Departments that maintain specific groups of individuals (i.e. athletics and the various sports, volleyball, basketball, football, etc.) will provide Alumni Relations with lists at each year end of those who have graduated or are no longer a part of the specific group so that they can be appropriately coded in the Millennium database.
- The users will agree to request new data for each project to ensure the most current information is used.
- All fundraising appeals must be coordinated with University Development, located in CHS downtown Grand Rapids. Inquiries may be made by contacting Jill Dooley at 331-6527. All alumni related matters not related to fundraising will be coordinated through Alumni Relations, via Kim Schmidt at 331-3592.
- There is no charge for the files. If you need additional assistance, please contact Kim Schmidt.
Example of file request
Please send me an excel file of all GV graduates with a degree in accounting and taxation. Please display: name, address, phone, email, major, degree year.
This file will be used for a mailing to all the graduates inviting them back to campus for a homecoming tailgater on October 29.
On Campus Departments: Alumni Relations will provide a file to the person who requests the data. The department is responsible for the printing, postage, and getting the mailing out.