Events » Academic Majors Fair - Volunteer Opportunity
Date: November 6, 2013
Time: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Location: Allendale, MI
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
The 2013 Academic Majors Fair is an event co-sponsored by GVSU Academic Advising and the Alumni Relations Office. The fair is a tremendous resource providing an avenue for students who have not yet decided upon a major or are contemplating a major change, to speak with individuals about their future. Each major offered at GVSU will be represented with a table staffed by faculty members who teach within the discipline. Faculty members will provide insights to students about the educational aspects of that major, as well as information on career prospects. Alumni also participate by sharing first-hand information about what it is like to work in their particular field. Our students relate especially well to individuals who have been in their shoes and can speak directly about what career opportunities are available. Alumni need not necessarily have majored in their current line of work to participate.
The event runs from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center Alumni may sign up for the entire duration or for one or more hour shifts during that time frame. Shifts will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Alumni will be participating as a professional representative of their alma mater, career/field, and business. Please dress as you normally would for your work day. This will reinforce to students what they can expect as they move into the “work world”.
Preparations/What to Bring:
Please bring a stack of business cards which can be handed out to students you may make a significant connection with. We encourage our future alumni to begin building and strengthening their professional and alumni networks as soon as possible. Lakers helping Lakers – it’s a powerful thing!
If you are on LinkedIn, we also encourage you bring some information with your LinkedIn profile if you would be willing to have students connect with you to begin the networking process.
In preparing for the Academic Major Fair, alumni should be cognizant that no two students are the same. Most questions will vary. Some suggested talking points are listed below:
- Fully explain what you do and how Grand Valley helped prepare you for your career.
- Provide any specific requirements needed to obtain a position in your field (e.g., education, experience, internships, special licensing or training, etc.)
- Discuss typical pay ranges, benefits, and job prospects that can be expected in the current job market.
- Detail a typical work day.
- Discuss the importance of building positive business relationships.
- Explain the role of proper business ethics as they apply to your career.
- Reinforce the need for obtaining the basic professional skills required for the job and how Grand Valley helped with this.
- Your student involvement/activities in which you participated and how this may have helped in your career.
Concentrate on insights that students may not be able to research elsewhere (e.g. what have you learned on the job that you didn’t expect when entering the field, what do you wish you would have known when entering the job market, etc.)
If you are interested in participating in the event, please forward a resume or bio, along with the times that you are available to Kim Schmidt, Associate Director of Alumni Relations, at email@example.com or call 800-558-0541.
See all upcoming events