- Master of Public Health (M.P.H.)
The Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) prepares students by enhancing career opportunities through the acquisition of quantitative and qualitative problem solving research skills, service, and experiential learning.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Public health professionals promote good health and prevent disease within communities. The M.P.H provides graduate and community-based education and research grounded in social justice to help meet these goals.
Upon completion of the 51-54 hour, five semester M.P.H. program, graduates will be qualified to earn voluntary professional certification by taking the National Board of Public Health Examiners Certified in Public Health (CPH) Exam. Students choose one of three emphasis areas:
- Health administration
- Health promotion
Students may choose electives in policy, environmental health, and health disparities.
The program addresses multiple complex public health problems including those found in services, epidemiology, and community health and promotion. Public health workers are in high demand and have a wide range of career options:
- Government agencies
- Advocacy and public policy
- Health education
- Health management
- Environmental health
- Global health
Why Study Public Health at Grand Valley?
- Experience based. Includes field experience in public health practice, optional global learning in public health, and practicum placements within the community. Didactic learning is paired with community based experiences throughout the curriculum.
- In demand profession. By 2022, public health employment is expected to grow 22 percent nationally and by 12 percent in Michigan.
- Geographically desirable location. Close proximity to, and articulation agreements with, a variety of clinical settings ensure more effective student learning.
- Convenient. Courses are offered at the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences in downtown Grand Rapids.
- Flexible. Classes are offered in late afternoon and early evening to accommodate working professionals.
- Online. Core courses are offered in an online/hybrid format allowing the student to complete a course both in-seat and online to accommodate a more flexible schedule.
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University