Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
The religious studies program at Grand Valley State University is unique in that it allows students to design a degree that suits their specific interests, talents, and career aspirations.
Students may choose a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), a Bachelor of Science (B.S.), or a minor in Religious Studies. All students will have the opportunity to pursue interdisciplinary studies and reach across divisional lines to draw on the academic resources of the campus. It is an appropriate major for students who wish to do the following:
- Bring understanding of religious issues into public dialogue
- Focus on particular religions through courses in a range of global traditions and interdisciplinary perspectives
- Explore religion and related phenomena academically to understand the roles religion plays in the human journey
Students will complete coursework in four component areas:
- Core courses
- Disciplinary approaches courses
- Global perspectives courses
Graduates work for a variety of entities, including:
- Communication and arts
- Governmental and global NGO agencies
- Health care
- International areas
- Nonprofit organizations
- Religious organizations
- Social services
- Teaching and administration
Why Study Religious Studies at Grand Valley?
- Religious studies encourages students to develop interdisciplinary understandings and to take full advantage of cross cultural opportunities at GVSU as well as in the greater community.
- The program promotes critical thinking, intercultural knowledge and competence, ethical reasoning, and integrative learning.
- Flexibility in coursework supports breadth of knowledge regarding religious traditions and issues while allowing intentional study of particular traditions through focused coursework.
“There are few topics that require more objectivity and critical analysis than the study of religion. Under the direction of a caring and knowledgeable faculty, the religious studies program at GVSU fosters the critical thinking and analysis skills necessary to succeed in one's career and educational endeavors.”
RELIGIOUS STUDIES STUDENT