Speech-language pathologists are professionals educated to assess speech and language development and treat speech and language disorders. Additionally, speech-language pathologists help people with swallowing disorders.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The speech-language pathology graduate program is a four-semester program for students who have completed necessary preprofessional requirements and a bachelor's degree. Graduates of Grand Valley State University will be entry level Clinical Fellows.
Speech-language pathology students study a variety of topics that include:
- Assessment and intervention from infancy through adulthood
- Augmentative and alternative communication
- Autism communication
- Evidence-based diagnosis and treatment
Speech-language pathologists are employed in a variety of settings, including:
- Academic and research laboratories
- Community clinics and private practices
- Early intervention
- Government agencies and health departments
- Mental health, rehabilitation, and residential facilities
- Hospitals, nursing centers, and home care
- School systems
Why Study Speech-language Pathology at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley is known for health sciences, and is one of only two universities in Michigan now offering all therapy programs.
- Located in the heart of the Medical Mile in downtown Grand Rapids, the program offers unique learning experiences, resources, and research opportunities.
- The program is in the process of applying for candidacy from the American Speech Language Hearing Association. Accreditation is anticipated by the fall of 2013.
- Two cohorts a year offering small, intimate classes.
- Community-based practicum placements.
- Faculty members are involved with local, state, and national organizations.
- Excellent job opportunities.
For More Information
Speech-language Pathology Program
“Having been involved with the creation of the speech-language pathology program, I am thrilled to see it now offered. I expect nothing but the best from GVSU students as they enter the profession.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University