Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.)
The Kirkhof College of Nursing offers a Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.) degree. It is designed for nurses seeking a terminal degree in nursing practice and offers an alternative to research-focused doctoral programs.
The D.N.P. program offers emphasis areas in:
- Advanced nursing practice (primary care, child/adolescent, or adult/older adult)
- Health systems leadership
Students admitted as a cohort begin the D.N.P. curriculum each fall semester. Deadline for application is February 1. For more information, visit the website at gvsu.edu/grad/dnp/.
The curriculum is consistent with the national agenda to transform American health care. Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Applied statistics
- Informatics, innovation, and technologies
- Evidence-based practice
- Health care system, policy, and politics
- Health issues in vulnerable populations
The D.N.P. program creates opportunities for advancement in nursing to include providing leadership in clinical and health systems, changing health care delivery, improving patient outcomes, and teaching in nursing education. The program further validates the Kirkhof College of Nursing's position as a leader in nursing education in Grand Rapids and West Michigan.
Why Study Nursing at Grand Valley?
- Flexibility – many nursing classes are offered in a hybrid format to accommodate working professionals.
- Versatility – prepares nurses for advanced practice nursing roles including clinical practice and nursing administration.
- Practicality – graduates will have an exceptional blend of clinical, organizational, economic, and leadership skills and be prepared to contribute to health care reform.
- Convenience – courses are offered primarily at the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) in downtown Grand Rapids.
“Grand Valley's D.N.P. program has taught me more about myself and my nursing practice than I ever imagined. I know I have full support of the professors who are challenging me to think in new ways and encouraging me to do my best. I can't wait to see where this journey leads me!”
JENNIFER OHMAN, BSN, RN
“Students answer the summons to get ready to be in the forefront of healthcare while experiencing the excitement of developing an entrepreneurial mindset as we enact our roles and projects.”
THOMAS SANCHEZ, DNP, MSN, RN, FNP-BC
2014 D.N.P. GRADUATE