Preprofessional Studies (Preveterinary Medicine)
A career in veterinary medicine gives students the opportunity to model the best in themselves through their compassionate attention to animals' health, welfare, and conservation. Never before has animal life been of greater interest to our increasingly urbanized society or of greater importance to our agricultural production of food. And, never before has our obligation to care for animals been higher.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Although not a requirement for veterinary school admissions, students pursuing veterinary medicine may major in biology with a preveterinary emphasis and receive the advising they need to be well-prepared for veterinary schools around the world.
Early consultation with a preveterinary advisor either in the biology department or CLAS Academic Advising Center is strongly encouraged.
In addition to completing core biology courses, preveterinary medicine students take courses in:
- Animal nutrition
- Organic chemistry
Students become veterinarians, or professionals in related fields, such as:
- Wildlife conservation
- Environmental safety
- Graduate school in science
- Public health
Why Study Preveterinary Medicine at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley State University has been sending students to graduate programs in veterinary medicine for years. Our experienced faculty and staff are able to advise students on how to complete the requirements for and get into veterinary school in the most efficient way possible.
- Most GVSU students complete their professional veterinary training at Michigan State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. The courses outlined in the preveterinary studies emphasis in biology meet all MSU course requirements.
- Students are encouraged to become involved in the Grand Valley Preveterinary Club, a student organization devoted to providing a collegiate atmosphere at Grand Valley to assist students seeking careers as veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
- The program prepares students well for veterinary schools around the world and usually with only minor adjustments.
For More Information
Dr. Terry M. Trier
“Because of small class sizes and a wonderful teaching environment, we look forward to students from Grand Valley.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University