- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
Grand Valley State University is an exciting place to study theatre. The program prepares students for careers in the entertainment industry and for careers that require skills in creativity, collaboration, communications, and problem-solving. It provides professional orientation and background within a broad liberal arts framework.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The program is flexible, combining a strong core of theatre requirements, multiple elective offerings and hands-on production experience. Students can earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree.
Theatre students study a variety of topics, including:
- Costume design and construction
- History of theatre
- Stage design and stagecraft
- Stage and theatre management
Versatility is the single most important factor in obtaining work as a graduate of the drama program. Grand Valley theatre students have successfully completed programs in graduate schools and professional conservatories. They have found work in repertory theatre companies, educational theatre, modern dance companies, and arts organizations as:
Why Study Theatre at Grand Valley?
- Starting in their first semester on campus, GVSU students can be meaningfully involved in theatrical productions.
- Faculty with years of professional experience teach all theatre classes, and guest professionals provide an exciting complement to the major.
- Students may take courses outside theatre or pursue a minor or even double major in other disciplines to expand their opportunities.
- GVSU balances coursework with production work. Students participate at every level and area in theatre production, so they graduate with good overall training and experience.
- The annual Grand Valley Shakespeare Festival Mainstage production features students as well as guest professional artists including a Guest Equity Actor. Additionally, the Shakespeare Festival produces a touring production that performs at area secondary schools and has performed in Jamaica, China, Italy, the Bahamas, Nova Scotia, Prague, and at the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia.
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University