- Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)
Physical therapists provide services that increase functional independence and decrease functional impairments to people who have preventive, acute, and rehabilitative needs.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Admission to the three year Doctor of Physical Therapy program (D.P.T.) is competitive and requires students to have a bachelor's degree. Students must also complete prerequisite courses and obtain a minimum of 50 hours of work, volunteer, and/or job shadow experience in physical therapy prior to admission. Application information is available at gvsu.edu/pt/.
PT students study a variety of topics that include:
- Anatomy and neuroanatomy
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Clinical decision making
- Musculoskeletal PT
- Neuromuscular PT
- Pediatrics and geriatrics
- Integumentary care
Physical therapists are employed in a variety of health care settings including:
- Acute care hospitals
- Athletic teams
- Centers for the disabled
- Home health care settings
- Out-patient offices
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Research centers
- School systems
Why Study Physical Therapy at Grand Valley?
- Twelve faculty members have Ph.D., Ed.D., J.D., or D.P.T. degrees. There are also 12 faculty members with clinical specializations in orthopedics, neurology, pediatrics, geriatrics, sport, manual therapy, or wound care.
- Advanced topic elective courses available include: sport, spinal manual, neurologic, and pediatric physical therapy.
- Thirty-eight weeks of full-time clinical internship in five settings across the United States.
- Four major hospitals in Grand Rapids provide educational experiences.
- All students participate in research.
- 98% ultimate pass-rate on the National Physical Therapy Licensure Examination. 100% employment rate.
- The D.P.T. program at Grand Valley is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; phone: (703) 706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: capteonline.org/.
“At home, having a degree is impressive. I'm proud that mine's from Grand Valley.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University