Occupational Safety and Health Management
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Grand Valley State University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in occupational safety and health management (OSHM). The degree provides students with the proper balance of safety management and scientific training required in the safety field.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
OSHM prepares students for entry level positions within the occupational safety profession. Students are immersed in a curriculum that exposes them to a wide range of experiences to prepare them for a career based on the industry in which they wish to work. The following are examples of industry sectors that hire OSH professionals: manufacturing, insurance, chemical, government, service industries.
Students study a variety of topics that include:
- Critical incident analysis
- Environmental safety and safety regulations
- Ergonomic safety engineering
- Fire science
- Hazard control
- Health and safety techniques
- Industrial hygiene
Job opportunities exist in all occupational settings, including:
Why Study Occupational Safety And Health Management at Grand Valley?
- Nearly 100% job placement.
- The B.S. in OSHM is one of the few programs approved by the Institute for Safety and Health Management, a professional certification body.
- Graduates can receive the Associate Safety and Health Management certification from the Institute of Safety and Health Management.
- Hands-on laboratory emphasis.
- The program involves students in real world projects coupled with salaried internships.
“The OSHM program has been a great learning experience for students, allowing them to go out in the field to visit different sites and actually observe workplace hazards and their solutions, and to work hands-on with different monitoring equipment. The connections I've made through the opportunities to attend multiple safety conferences and through my internship have also proved beneficial.”