- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- Bachelor of Music (B.M.)
The Department of Music and Dance is a center for artistic excellence in musical performance, teaching, and scholarship.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The Department of Music and Dance offers curricula leading to the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in music, Bachelor of Music (B.M.), and Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.) degrees.
- The B.A. in music promotes the study of music within the context of a liberal education curriculum.
- The B.M. is designed for students who demonstrate exceptional ability and particular interest in concentrating on performance.
- The B.M.E. degree enables students to meet certification requirements for teaching music in Michigan’s elementary and secondary schools. Two tracks are offered: vocal/choral emphasis and instrumental emphasis.
Each potential major or minor in music must have a personal audition with the faculty. Visit the department website for scheduling and the online catalog for curriculum information.
Music graduates go on to careers as varied as:
- Arts managers
Why Study Music at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
- Because of our small class sizes, faculty members are able to devote careful attention to each student’s unique talent and individual needs.
- Our full-time professors are also performers, international competition winners, conductors, composers, theorists, scholars, and acclaimed teachers.
- Full-time professors are complemented by adjunct faculty drawn from West Michigan’s strong professional music community.
- Students experience a unique and stimulating environment for musical study and performance.
For More Information
Department of Music and Dance
“Between a full year of student teaching and the rigorous music education courses I feel I will be fully prepared to enter the teaching field. GVSU goes out of their way to help their graduates find and land a job. They also have a high placement rate after graduation.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University