- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
The liberal studies program at Grand Valley State University allows students to develop a major area of study based on a specific theme, issue, problem, or career interest.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Students may choose a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. It is an appropriate major for students who wish to
- organize their studies around problems, issues, and themes, (such as the nature of work, the relationship between religion and society, and community organization,) rather than around traditional disciplines;
- focus on a particular interdisciplinary area of study, such as cultural studies, American studies, leadership studies, sustainability studies, gender studies, and more; and
- concentrate simultaneously on a general education and a particular academic discipline or career area.
Students begin with core courses and work with an academic advisor to develop an individualized study plan with electives and emphases centered on their career interests.
Graduates have enjoyed career opportunities as:
- Account executives
- Client services managers
- Corporate researchers
- Customer service directors
- Project managers
- Public and nonprofit administrators
- Staff directors
- Systems coordinators
Why Study Liberal Studies at Grand Valley?
- Students can pursue interdisciplinary studies and can reach across disciplinary fields to draw on the academic resources of the campus.
- Students receive personal attention by faculty members in all courses in our student-oriented, teaching-focused program.
- Grand Valley's liberal studies program prepares students to adapt to 21st century changes in technology and information.
- Talented and highly credentialed faculty members with real-world experience are dedicated to teaching, which means a more relevant learning experience for students.
- Smaller class sizes means students and faculty have multiple opportunities to interact and get to develop innovative ideas.
- Faculty members are actively engaged in their disciplines, which enhances learning.
“Liberal studies provided me the freedom to pursue what I am passionate about, to frame a course of study that encompassed what I looked to accomplish.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University