- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
The ABA-approved Legal Studies major involves the study of civil and criminal law and contemporary issues related to law. The program provides a liberal education which focuses on both theory and practice and prepares students for work as paralegals and for further study in the field of law.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Legal Studies majors may earn either a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. The B.A. requires third semester proficiency in a foreign language. The B.S. requires completion of courses in statistics and research methods.
Courses focus on:
- Substantive law, including contracts, criminal law, torts, property, business law, and family law.
- Oral and written communication
- Critical thinking skills
- Investigation and legal research
- Legal ethics and professionalism
Legal studies graduates are employed by:
- Insurance companies
- Government agencies
- Law firms
- Nonprofit organizations
Why Study Legal Studies at Grand Valley?
- The program is approved by the American Bar Association and features a curriculum that provides a strong foundation in writing and critical thinking with an emphasis on professional skills necessary for success in the legal field.
- The program prides itself on the diverse professional experience of its faculty members, most of whom are licensed attorneys who collectively have many years of experience working in areas of civil and criminal law.
- Faculty are engaged in scholarly research and writing and have been recognized in their professional circles as award-winning teachers and mentors.
- The program has an advisory board consisting of attorneys and paralegals representing a broad cross-section of employers. The board plays an important role by giving guidance on matters such as curriculum, internship and employment opportunities, and trends in the legal field.
For More Information
School of Criminal Justice
“I am leaving GVSU with a strong foundation and firm goals thanks to the things that were shown and taught to me by my professors.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University