Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Hospitality and tourism management (HTM) is a very dynamic sector of the service industry encompassing a wide variety of career opportunities that include lodging, food and beverage, recreation, leisure, club management, resort operations, travel, tourism, and event management.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Students majoring in hospitality and tourism management must complete the following:
- General university degree requirements as listed in the Grand Valley catalog.
- HTM core courses (minimum 36 credits).
- HTM field requirement (7 credits).
- Career emphasis (minimum 15 credits, w/advisor approval).
- Business cognates (12 credits).
Courses include the following:
- Information Analysis
- Law and Legislation
- Human Resource Management
Students may work in a variety of positions, including:
- Convention sales/service
- Director of sales
- General manager
- Hotel food service
- Special events manager
- Travel consultant
- Recreation manager
- Meeting planner
Why Study Hospitality And Tourism at Grand Valley?
Hospitality and tourism management students can expect the following:
- A curriculum which reflects contemporary industry concepts and best practice.
- Classes taught by experienced faculty members with academic and industry experience.
- An engaging learning environment where theoretical concepts are applied to the practice of industry.
- Individual faculty members mentoring where your career goals are at the heart of curriculum planning decisions.
- Experiential learning opportunities facilitated through a structured internship program.
- Networking opportunities with faculty, peers, alumni, professional organizations, and industry stakeholders.
“With supportive professors and an active community, I was able to network and build relationships with professionals while attending class. The department encouraged us to get involved, which left me confident and prepared for the workforce when I graduated.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University