Geology - Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in the dual geology-chemistry major prepares students to use a combination of geology and chemistry to study the Earth, solve problems related to our environment, and find mineral and energy resources.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
We provide a broad and rigorous curriculum, including field, laboratory, classroom, and research experiences to best prepare our majors for a broad range of geoscience-related career opportunities. Minors in geology and earth science are also offered. Visit www.gvsu.edu/geology for details.
The program consists of coursework in the geosciences, chemistry, physics and mathematics. Subjects include:
- Earth history
- Geographic information systems
- Instrumental analysis
- Organic chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Plate tectonics
- Quantitative analysis
A B.S. in geology-chemistry is useful in pursuing graduate school or obtaining an entry level job in:
- Engineering geology and natural hazards
- Environmental law and policy
- Environmental remediation and water resources
- Federal, state, and local agencies
- Mineral and energy resource exploration
- Science writing and museum work
Why Study Geology-Chemistry at Grand Valley?
- Knowledgeable, accomplished faculty, excellent learning community, and invaluable learning experiences.
- Students take part in field studies and research where they use their geological knowledge in real world situations.
- Individually mentored research opportunities are available to our undergraduate students.
- Our students frequently attend and/or present their work at national, regional, or state professional meetings.
- The Geology Club organizes events such as on-campus speakers, field experiences, and attendance at conferences.
For More Information
Department of Geology
“Grand Valley is very student-oriented in everything from lectures to labs to advising, so I get to know almost every student I have. I feel like I make a connection to students.”
“We are interested in developing you as an individual, both as a scientist and as a productive and informed citizen. We mentor and continue to care about you and your career after you leave Grand Valley.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University