- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
The Department of Music encourages collaboration across disciplines and provides opportunities to explore innovative areas in dance history, theory, dance and technology, choreography, pedagogy, anatomy and physiology, and production.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The B.A. in dance offers students extensive training to develop and refine techniques in various idioms of dance. Students develop their abilities through a wide range of courses combining practical and theoretical skills that emphasize critical thought and independence. Participation in the dance program is by audition only. An audition schedule and application form can be found at www.gvsu.edu/music/.
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Ballet technique
- Dance history
- Improvisation and choreography
- Jazz technique
- Modern technique
- Stagecraft and production
Dance graduates go on to careers as varied as:
- Artistic directors
- Dance company managers
- Dance historians
- Dance teachers
- Studio owners
Why Study Dance at Grand Valley?
- The program offers students many opportunities to perform. In addition to classes, workshops, informal showings, and student choreography concerts, dance students have the opportunity to perform with the GVSU Dance Ensemble.
- World-renowned faculty and guest artists.
- The program is designed for students who demonstrate exceptional training for college-level dance.
- We offer a variety of courses in modern, ballet, pointe, jazz, partnering, dance on camera, choreography and improvisation, and dance history.
- Students also will focus their academic experience on dance history, technology, composition, improvisation, pedagogy, and theoretical perspectives to ensure their success as educated members of the dance community.
For More Information
Department of Music
“The dance program at GVSU has allowed me to grow individually as a performing artist, choreographer, and student. The rigors of dance theory, technique classes and contact with students and faculty, offered me the opportunity to experience an amazing network of dance resources from guest artists, master classes, and attending ACDFA. I would encourage all dancers to look at this program.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University