Medical Laboratory Science
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Medical laboratory scientists perform complex analyses to develop data on blood, tissues, and fluids of the human body. These laboratory tests play an important role in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of many diseases.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Graduates receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in MLS. Students spend five semesters completing their general education and core science courses, followed by three semesters of MLS professional courses. Pre-requisite science courses include chemistry, human anatomy and physiology, genetics, microbiology, immunology and physics. After admission to the program, students complete professional coursework, which also includes 18 weeks of clinical rotations at an affiliated hospital laboratory. MLS is a secondary admission program. Application information is available at www.gvsu.edu/mls/.
Medical laboratory scientists are in demand and find employment in a variety of settings, including:
- Clinics and physicians' offices
- Public health institutions
- Hospital, private, and government labs
- Research labs
Why Study Medical Laboratory Science at Grand Valley?
- Our well-established program provides a strong curriculum, knowledgeable faculty, and guaranteed clinical placements to prepare students for the ASCP Board of Certification exam.
- Students enjoy small class sizes, cohort experiences, and clinical rotations at hospital affiliate laboratories, ranging from large teaching facilities to small community hospitals.
- Clinical courses are taught in the modern and beautiful Cook DeVos Center for Health Sciences building in Grand Rapids, MI in the heart of the medical community including Van Andel Institute and Spectrum Health.
- Each year two MLS students are selected for the Peter P. and Patricia R. Renucci and Family Scholarships.
- The MLS program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences; 5600 N. River Rd; Suite 720; Rosemont, IL 60018. Phone: (773) 714-8880.
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University