African/African American Studies
The African and African American studies (AAAS) program develops an understanding of the variety and complexity of Africa, a deep appreciation of the African American experience, and an enriching knowledge of the various historical trajectories and contributions of the global African diaspora.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
AAAS is an interdisciplinary minor and ideal complement to many disciplinary majors. Two tracks or areas of emphasis are possible, allowing students to tailor the minor to their own interests and needs. Students can choose to minor in either:
- Track I: Africa
- Track II: African American
Curriculum covers a variety of topics, including:
- Africa - U.S. relations
- African American history
- African American literature
- African diaspora
- Civil conflicts in Africa
- Culture and thought
- Geography of Africa
- Philosophical thought
Students may find work in a broad range of fields, including:
- Criminal justice
- Health sciences
- International business
- Literacy studies
Why Study African/African American Studies at Grand Valley?
- Prepares students for an increasingly diverse world of peoples, cultures, religions, and economies.
- Is a gateway to gaining communicative and intercultural skills in a global economy.
- Offers opportunities for study abroad and rich cultural enrichment.
- Provides a multidisciplinary and rigorous intellectual grounding both in an important world region (Africa) and a major U.S. ethnic group (African Americans); the minor represents an excellent academic and personal investment for students who intend to pursue career opportunities in a broad range of fields.
“The AAAS program provides students with a foundation for understanding the complexity of continental Africa and the history and culture of peoples of African descent throughout the world. Beyond academic and/or professional success, the AAAS program fosters in students the ethic of civic participation and global awareness.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University